One of the best things I did for myself was purchase “that” juicer. It took me about a year and a half to get over the price before I decided to fork it out. But… when I’m feeling down, energy-wise, there is nothing better than this pick me-up. If you don’t have a juicer, but have a blender strong enough for the apples, just blend it up into a smoothie – or strain to remove the pulp if you are looking for a true juice. For this juice – only organic will do for me. It feels like it goes right into my blood stream and I certainly don’t want to be injecting pesticides into my veins.
Into the juicer we go:
- 1 english cucumber with the skin on and scrubbed very well
- a half of a head of romaine – or similar “water dense” lettuce
- several large kale leaves*
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 cored granny smith apple
- In winter, I may add a knuckle of ginger but skip this in summer for Ayurvedic reasons as it’s a fire spice
- I may also squeeze some lemon in to the juice after it’s been processed
*If you wrap your kale leaves around your cucumber or celery stalks and really pack it into the chute, you may get a little more juice.